Pasta e Fagoli Soup Recipe
I’m excited to share a recipe that has quickly become a family favorite. THIS Pasta e Fagoli soup recipe is from Damn Delicious and is…well…exactly that! I have to admit that I had this recipe pinned on my Pinterest board for quite some time and can’t believe I waited so long to try it. Keep it warm in a crock pot to serve on Super Bowl Sunday or divide and freeze to have easy meals over the next few weeks. We usually pair it with a garden salad and mini cornbread muffins for a delicious, simple dinner!
(All credit goes to Damn Delicious for the recipe below. My changes to the recipe are the italicized comments next to the ingredients.)
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (*We cooked a bunch, kept it in the refrigerator, and heated it/added it to the soup before each time we served.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (*I used a jar of minced garlic and added an little extra than this!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (*Added a few extra!)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (*Added a few extra!)
- 3 cups chicken broth (*I used 4 cups)
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage to the skillet and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Stir in garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, Italian sausage and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and beans until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Keep me posted when you make and try it! Any changes or suggestions?
Share your favorite soup recipe in the comment below! I’d love to try it and feature you!
Enjoy your weekend, friends!